Tuesday, 26 June 2007

Bug hunting

I found two bugs in the WAP section:

1) the entered values where not saved when the correction signatur was negative (-) and the correction value itself was left empty.

2) the time zone calculation after midnight was incorrect. This means that the recommended date was one day short.

24 hour profile

Your 24 hour profile can now be managed in the setting section. The BU factor is used to calculate the insulin needed. Via WAP you enter that you are planning to eat 3 BU. So the system will extract the BU factor valid for the measured time. The BUs are then multiplied with this factor to calculate the rapid insulin:

3 BU x 2.5 BU Factor = 8 units rapid insulin

The WAP system will make this recommendation for you. In addition the system will calculate the insulin needed to reach you target glucose value. This correction insulin is calculated in an extra field to separate BU effects from correctional effects.

This correction will furthermore adapt to the physical activity you have entered. The heavier your physical involvement the more the correction will reduce or turn to negative. Negative means that the amount for you BU should also be reduced.

Of course these are all recommendations - you are in charge and you have full control to change the values as you like.

Thursday, 14 June 2007

Joined forces

I am very happy that a friend of mine joined Glucosurfer.org and started to fill his diary via mobile phone. His every day use will create the type of feedback that a project like this needs to grow further. It is an interesting experience to see his current glucose levels and how he has managed the day so far. Wow!

With this motivation I started to work on the glucose diagram and fixed several bugs. Especially the passage from one day to the other was sometimes miscalculated. In addition I added a title that shows the date and weekday. Now the diagram seems mature and fast enough. This gives me time to work on the web interface in the next days.

Wednesday, 13 June 2007

Graphical engine improved

Yesterday I experienced some major lockups in the graphical analysis. As a result the whole site was blocked. I decided to redesign the graphical engine and made it independent from MFC. As a result the engine shrinked dramatically and so far the lockups disappeared.

Tuesday, 12 June 2007

From theory to practice

Here is an example how this project will visualize your diary. It is based on live and fictional test data entered via mobile phone:

http://www.glucosurfer.org/goto?diagram&language=en&user=278&share=3788281

As you can see Google Maps is my role model for this type of diagram. Like Google Maps you can grab the diagram with your mouse and then you can drag to the left or right side.

The link above is also an example how your diary can be shared via mail, newsgroup or website. You can decide wheter this share is active or disabled. So you are in control of your audience.

Please let me know if you like it.

Long way

In the middle of 2006 it came to my mind that my paper diary for diabetes is in a bad shape. It was inconvenient to take it always with me because of its size. In addition its valuable data like long term trends were not evaluated statistically.

It was immediatly clear that this problem could be solved with a mobile phone and a nice piece of software. In the 8th class I had a computer course with the famous Apple ][e and till then I have great passion for computer systems. Quite naturally this lead to a Master in Information Systems at the University of M√ľnster in the year 2001.

With all the knowledge at hand I began Glucosurfer.org in September 2006 with these design parameters:
  • non commercial project
  • new values for the diabetes diary are entered via mobile phone (WAP) and browsers (HTML)
  • the entered data should be collected in a mature database system for intense analysis
  • the visual representation of the diary should help in the quick identification of problems
  • the diary could be shared with other members of the diabetes community
  • the service should be usable in full annonymity of its users
  • HTML 4, CSS and Ajax technology
Now, some months later I have made progress in all these design aspects. The first result can be viewed and used on www.glucosurfer.org.

Blog started

Finally I have managed to create my blog about my project called Glucosurfer.org

You can contact me via e-mail if you like.