Tuesday 12 June 2007

Long way

In the middle of 2006 it came to my mind that my paper diary for diabetes is in a bad shape. It was inconvenient to take it always with me because of its size. In addition its valuable data like long term trends were not evaluated statistically.

It was immediatly clear that this problem could be solved with a mobile phone and a nice piece of software. In the 8th class I had a computer course with the famous Apple ][e and till then I have great passion for computer systems. Quite naturally this lead to a Master in Information Systems at the University of Münster in the year 2001.

With all the knowledge at hand I began Glucosurfer.org in September 2006 with these design parameters:
  • non commercial project
  • new values for the diabetes diary are entered via mobile phone (WAP) and browsers (HTML)
  • the entered data should be collected in a mature database system for intense analysis
  • the visual representation of the diary should help in the quick identification of problems
  • the diary could be shared with other members of the diabetes community
  • the service should be usable in full annonymity of its users
  • HTML 4, CSS and Ajax technology
Now, some months later I have made progress in all these design aspects. The first result can be viewed and used on www.glucosurfer.org.

No comments: